St Mary's Dominican

St Mary's Dominican Church
Graveyard name: 
St Mary's Dominican
Graveyard Code: 
GA-SMDO
RMP/Site number: 
GA094-091001
RMP Classification: 
Graveyard

Location

Claddagh Quay
Galway, Galway
Ireland
53° 16' 7.0752" N, 9° 3' 22.8168" W
Townland: 
Townparks
Terrain: 
Level
Gateway: 
Iron Gate
Notes: 

The Dominican Friary at Claddagh was built on the site of an early church of St. Mary's on the hill, which was a 13th century foundation associated with the premonstratensian Canon's of Tuam. In 1488, the site which was then vacant was granted to the Dominican’s by Pope Innocent VIII who gave them license to construct a Friary. An extensive Friary is shown on the 'Pictorial Map of Galway' of the 1660's. In 1493, James Lynch Fitzstephen added a choir at his own expense. The site survived the suppressions of Henry VIII and Edward VI. In 1570 after it had already been 'lately dissolved', it was granted to Galway Corporation. By 1629, there were still four Dominicans Friars, five professed clerics and some novices there. The Dominican’s remained in the area or returned to the site at various stages in the 18th century despite the Penal Laws. There was a small church on the site in the 18th century. In 1494, the Franciscans were granted leave by the Pope Alexander VI to annex the Chapel of Our Lady. It is unclear if this ever happened.

The Penal period Church is shown on several paintings and engravings and survived into the 19th century when it was replaced in the 1880's by the present church.  The graveyard was once far more extensive. In the 1930's, a large number of headstones were laid flat and a garden with paths was laid out. Many other monuments were taken up and placed against the walls of the cemetery. In the early 2000's some of the funerary monuments were temporarily uncovered during a FAS scheme but were covered over again. The monuments recorded all monuments which have remained overground and these are listed on the website. A 17th century tomb fragment with the Crucifixion, St. Mary and St. John is in the porch and several architectural fragments from the site are in the priory. Several other carvings are in the boundary wall on the Fairhill side.

This project was funded by the Heritage Council and Galway City Council as an action of the Galway City Heritage Plan. An information leaflet for St Mary's can be downloaded below and printed copies are available from Dr. Jim Higgins, Heritage Office, City Hall, College Rd., Galway (091 536547091 536547).

Survey documents
Supported by

Graves

Photo Grave Name Surname
GA-SMDO-0001 GA-SMDO-0001 B Faherty
GA-SMDO-0002 GA-SMDO-0002 Patrick Keavany
GA-SMDO-0003 GA-SMDO-0003
William
Catherine
Celia
O'Connor
O'Connor
O'Connor
GA-SMDO-0004 GA-SMDO-0004 Patrick Condon
GA-SMDO-0005 GA-SMDO-0005 Ellen Tierney
GA-SMDO-0006 GA-SMDO-0006
Thomas
Jane
Ryder
Ryder
GA-SMDO-0007 GA-SMDO-0007
Mary
John
Clancy
Clancy
GA-SMDO-0008 GA-SMDO-0008 Pat Hubbert
GA-SMDO-0009 GA-SMDO-0009 John J Butler
GA-SMDO-0010 GA-SMDO-0010
GA-SMDO-0011 GA-SMDO-0011 Michael Dugdale
GA-SMDO-0012 GA-SMDO-0012 I Costollo
GA-SMDO-0013 GA-SMDO-0013
Norah
James
Folan
Folan
GA-SMDO-0014 GA-SMDO-0014 William O'Gready
GA-SMDO-0015 GA-SMDO-0015 John B
Lovelock alias Bermingham
Lovelock
GA-SMDO-0016 GA-SMDO-0016
James
Anne
Dunn
Dunn
GA-SMDO-0017 GA-SMDO-0017
John
Jane
Lally
Lally
GA-SMDO-0018 GA-SMDO-0018 Dermott Fanning
GA-SMDO-0019 GA-SMDO-0019 Bridget
O'Flaherty
O'Flaherty
GA-SMDO-0020 GA-SMDO-0020
Bridget
James
Martha Julia
Lally
Lally
Staunton
GA-SMDO-0021 GA-SMDO-0021
GA-SMDO-0022 GA-SMDO-0022 Mary Burrowas
GA-SMDO-0023 GA-SMDO-0023
John
Catherine
King
King
GA-SMDO-0024 GA-SMDO-0024 Sylvarius Jones
GA-SMDO-0025 GA-SMDO-0025 William Harty