Kilmactranny

St Thomas' Church Kilmactranny
Graveyard name: 
Kilmactranny
Graveyard Code: 
SL-KMTY
RMP/Site number: 
SL041-038002-
RMP Classification: 
Graveyard

Location

Kilmactranny, Sligo
Ireland
54° 3' 39.0816" N, 8° 15' 15.5088" W
Townland: 
Carrickard
Number of Memorials: 
227
Notes: 

Surveyed in 2017 as part of the Sligo Historic Graveyards Project.  Funded by Sligo County Council in partnership with The Heritage Council as an action of the County Sligo Heritage Plan 2016-2020. See www.sligococo.ie/heritage for more information

Kilmactranny Graveyard is in the townland of Carrickard, in east Sligo and named after the old parish of the same name.  It is about three miles west of Ballyfarnon and seven miles north west of Boyle. The site is mentioned in the Annals of Lough Ce in 1236 and is recorded in the Taxation List of 1306 as "Church was waste".

St Thomas' Church of Ireland (NIAH Reg. No. 32404101) is on its southern boundary. Built in 1811, on the site of an older church founded by St. Macatrany (SL041-038001-). It has an interesting historical connection, from 1852 to 1867 the Rector was Rev. Arthur Hyde, father of Douglas Hyde, the first president of Ireland. The family lived in the adjacent Glebe.

A Conmee family vault, testimony to the presence of a late medieval Irish poet and annalist, is situated at the back of the church. Dr. O’Rourke’s 1880 study “Ballisodare and Kilvarnet” mentions that a famous duellist, Centy O’Rourke is buried near the same vault. “Killed in a duel near Achonry in 1779, buried in Banada and later re-interred under the cover of darkness, in the graveyard at Kilmactranny”.

In the field to the north of the graveyard is a large boulder bearing a cross which dates to 1680. It once bore the inscription (no longer visible) “Pray for the soul of Emund et Owen McDermot roe….1680.” A similar stone, within the graveyard bears the same name and is dated 1682.

An old laneway to the north is called "Barr na Marbh" referring to the great famine when the women of the area brought the bodies to the top of the hill. The men working on the road collected the bodies and buried them in the graveyard. This story was narrated by local historian Murtagh Corcoran RIP, who lived nearby and is now resting in Kilmactranny.

The graveyard is maintained by a voluntary committee funded by donations collected at the annual cemetary mass. Donations can also be given to any committee member or paid directly into the following bank account: Bank of Ireland, Sligo. BIC: BOFIIE2D IBAN: IE71BOFI90544041226102. All donations are gratefully accepted.

Survey documents
Supported by

Graves

Photo Grave Name Surname
SL-KMTY-0126 SL-KMTY-0126
SL-KMTY-0127 SL-KMTY-0127
SL-KMTY-0128 SL-KMTY-0128
SL-KMTY-0129 SL-KMTY-0129 Eliza Simon
SL-KMTY-0130 SL-KMTY-0130
SL-KMTY-0131 SL-KMTY-0131
SL-KMTY-0132 SL-KMTY-0132
Michael
Catherine
Thomas
Patrick
Conlon
Conlon
Conlon
Conlon
SL-KMTY-0133 SL-KMTY-0133
SL-KMTY-0134 SL-KMTY-0134
SL-KMTY-0135 SL-KMTY-0135
Patrick
Mary
Catherine
Connellan
Connellan
Connellan alias Gleeson
SL-KMTY-0136 SL-KMTY-0136
Winifred
Patrick
Mary Bridget
Dominick
Peter
Josephine
Christopher
Nicholson
Nicholson
Nicholson
Nicholson
Nicholson
Nicholson
Nicholson
SL-KMTY-0137 SL-KMTY-0137
SL-KMTY-0138 SL-KMTY-0138
SL-KMTY-0139 SL-KMTY-0139 Anna Eliza Higgins
SL-KMTY-0140 SL-KMTY-0140
SL-KMTY-0141 SL-KMTY-0141
SL-KMTY-0142 SL-KMTY-0142
SL-KMTY-0143 SL-KMTY-0143
SL-KMTY-0144 SL-KMTY-0144
Michael
Mary
Noone
Noone
SL-KMTY-0145 SL-KMTY-0145
SL-KMTY-0146 SL-KMTY-0146
Peter
Mary
John
Bridget
James
Mary
Mullaney
Mullaney
Mullaney
Mullaney
Mullaney
Mullaney
SL-KMTY-0147 SL-KMTY-0147
SL-KMTY-0148 SL-KMTY-0148
Bridget
John
Michael
Patrick
Mary Kate
Mary Kate Jr
Cogan nee Conlon
Conlon
Conlon
Conlon
Conlon
Conlon
SL-KMTY-0149 SL-KMTY-0149
SL-KMTY-0150 SL-KMTY-0150