Kilmactranny

St Thomas' Church Kilmactranny
Graveyard name: 
Kilmactranny
Graveyard Code: 
SL-KMTY
RMP/Site number: 
SL041-038002-
RMP Classification: 
Graveyard

Location

Kilmactranny, Sligo
Ireland
54° 3' 39.0816" N, 8° 15' 15.5088" W
Townland: 
Carrickard
Number of Memorials: 
227
Notes: 

Surveyed in 2017 as part of the Sligo Historic Graveyards Project.  Funded by Sligo County Council in partnership with The Heritage Council as an action of the County Sligo Heritage Plan 2016-2020. See www.sligococo.ie/heritage for more information

Kilmactranny Graveyard is in the townland of Carrickard, in east Sligo and named after the old parish of the same name.  It is about three miles west of Ballyfarnon and seven miles north west of Boyle. The site is mentioned in the Annals of Lough Ce in 1236 and is recorded in the Taxation List of 1306 as "Church was waste".

St Thomas' Church of Ireland (NIAH Reg. No. 32404101) is on its southern boundary. Built in 1811, on the site of an older church founded by St. Macatrany (SL041-038001-). It has an interesting historical connection, from 1852 to 1867 the Rector was Rev. Arthur Hyde, father of Douglas Hyde, the first president of Ireland. The family lived in the adjacent Glebe.

A Conmee family vault, testimony to the presence of a late medieval Irish poet and annalist, is situated at the back of the church. Dr. O’Rourke’s 1880 study “Ballisodare and Kilvarnet” mentions that a famous duellist, Centy O’Rourke is buried near the same vault. “Killed in a duel near Achonry in 1779, buried in Banada and later re-interred under the cover of darkness, in the graveyard at Kilmactranny”.

In the field to the north of the graveyard is a large boulder bearing a cross which dates to 1680. It once bore the inscription (no longer visible) “Pray for the soul of Emund et Owen McDermot roe….1680.” A similar stone, within the graveyard bears the same name and is dated 1682.

An old laneway to the north is called "Barr na Marbh" referring to the great famine when the women of the area brought the bodies to the top of the hill. The men working on the road collected the bodies and buried them in the graveyard. This story was narrated by local historian Murtagh Corcoran RIP, who lived nearby and is now resting in Kilmactranny.

The graveyard is maintained by a voluntary committee funded by donations collected at the annual cemetary mass. Donations can also be given to any committee member or paid directly into the following bank account: Bank of Ireland, Sligo. BIC: BOFIIE2D IBAN: IE71BOFI90544041226102. All donations are gratefully accepted.

Survey documents
Supported by

Graves

Photo Grave Name Surname
SL-KMTY-0101 SL-KMTY-0101
SL-KMTY-0102 SL-KMTY-0102
Thomas
Kate
Mary Kate
Patrick
Killoran
Killoran
Killoran
Killoran
SL-KMTY-0103 SL-KMTY-0103
John
Bridget
James
Skeffington
Skeffington
Skeffington
SL-KMTY-0104 SL-KMTY-0104 Bridget Goulrick
SL-KMTY-0105 SL-KMTY-0105
SL-KMTY-0106 SL-KMTY-0106
SL-KMTY-0107 SL-KMTY-0107 Michael
SL-KMTY-0108 SL-KMTY-0108
SL-KMTY-0109 SL-KMTY-0109
SL-KMTY-0110 SL-KMTY-0110
SL-KMTY-0111 SL-KMTY-0111
SL-KMTY-0112 SL-KMTY-0112
Andrew
Charles
Catherine
Francis
Taaffe
Taaffe
Mulaney
Taaffe
SL-KMTY-0113 SL-KMTY-0113
SL-KMTY-0114 SL-KMTY-0114
SL-KMTY-0115 SL-KMTY-0115
SL-KMTY-0116 SL-KMTY-0116
SL-KMTY-0117 SL-KMTY-0117
SL-KMTY-0118 SL-KMTY-0118
SL-KMTY-0119 SL-KMTY-0119
William J
Annie
Gardiner
Gardiner
SL-KMTY-0120 SL-KMTY-0120
SL-KMTY-0121 SL-KMTY-0121
SL-KMTY-0122 SL-KMTY-0122
SL-KMTY-0123 SL-KMTY-0123 Bridget Higgins
SL-KMTY-0124 SL-KMTY-0124
SL-KMTY-0125 SL-KMTY-0125