Places

A 13th century face from Ennisnag in Kilkenny

In the porch of St Peters Church in Ennisnag (http://www.historicgraves.ie/graveyard/st-peters/kk-spen) is a 13th century graveslab which is inscribed Johannes Filius Galfridi (John Fitz Geoffry). The slab was situated in the eastern portion of the graveyard and was relocated to the porch some time after 1952.
The lovely little booklet 'St. Peters Church, Ennisnag', produced by the local community, tells us that Johannes may be the son of Geoffrey who founded the Priory of Kells in 1193. Note the hairstyle and look out for a photograph which we will publish next week which shows the skill of the stonecarve.

The McGrath Tomb in Lismore, Co. Waterford

On a recent trip to the south coast of Ireland we took in the well known delights of Killarney and Kinsale and ended our southern sojourn in the  historic town of Lismore, in County Waterford. Read more »

The start of a survey at Barony graveyard, Lisdowney, North Kilkenny

Just in from a great day spent with the Lisdowney historic graveyard group. We ran a training workshop in Barony graveyard for the Kilkenny Leader Partnership and in collaboration with Kilkenny County Council Heritage officer (see their innovative historic graveyard mapping system here). One of our key tools for the first day of a survey is Geosetter, which we use to check the accuracy of the gps camera. Here we can see that 32 of the 34 photographs taken are plotting within the graveyard but you can't see two errant readings which are over a field away. Test plotting in the field allows such errant readings to be corrected, on the fly. Read more »

Bohermore’s Victorian Cemetery - Resting Place of the Famous

Victorian Cemeteries

Bohermore graveyard in Galway, or the ‘new cemetery’ as it is called was opened in 1880. The cemetery contains two mortuary chapels – the western chapel was reserved for Catholic usage and the eastern one for Protestant use - and a caretaker’s lodge close to the entrance gates.

  Read more »

A video tour of the British Cemetery in Funchal, Madeira

The British Cemetery in very accessible in Funchal town centre and should be on every tourist's itinerary if they have any interest in history. Over ten different nationalities are represented in the two sections of the cemetery as Funchal was a key node in global trade networks.

This video was recorded and edited using an Apple iPod Touch.

The Jewish Cemetery in Funchal, Madeira

The Jewish Cemetery can be found at the western end of the Rua da Lazareto in Funchal. Founded in 1851 it is walled and gated but unfortunately the gate is locked and the interior is overgrown (you have to climb onto the enclosure wall to get a look inside). The International Jewish Cemetery Project has no further detail but a strimmer and a couple of willing hands could have this graveyard cleaned-up and surveyed in a short week. Read more »

The Church of the Seven Daughters - Renvyle

Introduction to Renvyle Church and Graveyard

During the bitterly cold but beautifully crisp weather before Christmas last year I visited the picturesque church and graveyard at the western end of Renvyle peninsula.

A cemetery at Monte, Madeira

In February 2010 the island of Madeira was hit by a series of storms which resulted in major floods and landslides, causing at least 42 deaths. The floods and mudlsides appeared in the world's media (Sky, CNN, Youtube) but little is heard of the disaster today as newer envromental catastrophies have struck other countries. But the cemeteries of Madeira do provide some insights into the human costs of the storms. Read more »

Aghaboe Graveyard - History, Surveys and Stories

Introduction to Aghaboe

The Aghaboe abbey preservation committee have been in existence since the 1970s and  as a result of their work there are few better examples in the country of how to conserve and maintain an historic graveyard. Aghaboe has a rich historical and archaeological background with upstanding remains of a Dominican Friary and an Anglo Norman motte and bailey castle. The present Church of Ireland building was built on the site of an Augustinian monastery which in turn replaced the early christian monastery founded by St Canice in no later than 577 AD. Prominent amongst his successors at Aghaboe was St Virgilius, who was Bishop of Salzburg between 749-84 AD.

Workshop at Kilmanman, Co. Laois

Our visiting gravestone memorial iconography expert, Gerry Mullins, got very excited in Kilmanman graveyard, during the second of the Historic Graves, graveyard recording workshops in Co. Laois on Saturday the 2nd of April. Gerry was there to assist on the day and quickly became the star of the show because of his knowledge of and enthusiasm for the gravestone memorials.
The day followed the format set during the first workshop, with the twenty participants alternating between three activities; photography and GPS, surveying and gravestone memorial recording. The fieldwork was undertaken in the morning and was followed by talks and live uploading demonstrations back in Clonaslee community centre in the afternoon. Read more »

Syndicate content