Erected by Helena Burnet to the memory of her beloved husband, John Burnet of Cookestown Esq, late 52 Reg, whose remains are deposited here, …. 26 Merrion Square Dublin, the 26 of June 1861 in the 68 …., deeply and deservedly regretted
This mausoleum is listed in the NIAH (National Inventory of Architectural Heritage). The reference number is 12403819. It is described as: Freestanding single-bay single-stage Classical-style mausoleum, dated 1861. Cut-stone walls with inscribed cut-stone recessed panels having moulded surrounds, moulded stringcourse over supporting frieze, cut-stone pedimented capping on profiled course with foliate roundels to tympanae, and decorative corner finials. Set back from road in grounds shared with Whitechurch Church with wrought iron railings to perimeter having cast-iron finials.
A handsome modest-scale mausoleum erected for John Burnett (d. 1861) of Cookestown by Helena Burnett (n. d.) of Merrion Square, Dublin displaying exceptional stone masonry with particular emphasis on the finely-carved details identifying the elegant design aesthetic of the composition. Exuding a robust Classical theme the mausoleum stands in contrast against the austere Gothic Revival tone of the contemporary (1857) Philips mausoleum (12403814/KK-38-14) nearby with the resulting ensemble enhancing the aesthetic appeal of the Whitechurch Church grounds.