The Story of Imphrick graveyard, Co. Cork

Imphrick graveyard from outside the gate

This ruined parish church and graveyard is located in the townland of Imphrick, in the Catholic parish of Ballyhea and the civil parish of Imphrick. It is in the Barony of Fermoy and Orrery and Kilmore. It is is part of the Mallow Union of Parishes in the 
Diocese of Cloyne. 
It is located almost halfway between Charleville and Buttevant, Co. Cork, on the west side of the main road N20. It is 100m north of the L1320 road to Churchtown, on a slope north of the Awbeg River. The Cork/Dublin rail line is to the east.
This sub-rectangular graveyard is enclosed by a low earthen bank. The ruins of the church is in the north west corner and very much overgrown with ivy. The church was reported to be ‘in ruins’ in 1615. 
A total of 29 memorials have been recorded. The burials are mainly to the east and south of the church with 6 located in the interior. By the north wall inside the present ruin lies the earliest headstone, dated to 1783. Predominantly 19th and 20th century burials recorded.
Surnames recorded include Walsh, Egan, Duane, O’Callaghan, Glasson, Murphy, O’Sullivan, Barrett, Keefe and Johnson.
Interesting facts
Located to the east of this site on the western side of the road is a holy well, known locally as “Tobernadecla’ or St. Declan’s Well. located in a small field, it is accessed by a gate from the road and by a stile to the well area. It is rectangular, well enclosed and partially covered by a low stone surround. Its waters are believed to have healing powers. Votive offerings surround the well and rags adorn overhanging vegetation. 
This post was researched and written as part of a grassroots heritage tourism project ( in collaboration with Ballyhoura Development CLG (, Cork Co. Council ( and Limerick Co. Council ( The stories were initially gathered during a community survey of the graveyard. They form part of the Historic Graves Project Destination for Ballyhoura (