St. John the Baptist Church is located on the opposite side of Bawnatemple townland to Canovee Graveyard, on the boundary with Coolnasoon and Cooldrum townlands. The church was built in 1869 on the site of an older church marked on the 1st ed. OS as 'R.C. Chapel' (1840s) and across the road from the old National School House and the site named as 'Kilcoulaghta graveyard' on the 1st Edition OS (1840s). Canon John Foley was Parish Priest of Kilmurry Parish at the time.
Canon Thomas (Tom) V. Daly, Parish Priest of Kilmurry from 1963-1973, is the only person buried in the churchyard. Canon Tom died 12th June 1980 and Dr. Michael Murphy, Coadjutor Bishop of Cork and Ross, was chief concelebrant at the Requiem Mass in St. Mary's Church Kilmurry and recited the prayers at the graveside in Canovee. Canon Daly, a native of Derrygrea, Drimoleague, was ordained 20th June 1919 and served as Parish Priest at Schull and Crosshaven before coming to Kilmurry.