Coordinates: 53.673754, -8.339959
Surveyed in 2019 as part of a community project funded by the Heritage Council and Roscommon County Council. Organised by heritage officer Nollaig Feeney.
The old Oran graveyard contains the remains of a round tower [RO034-080003] and the remains of a wall which is believed to be from the medieval parish church [RO034-080001]. Oran, from the Irish Uarán, derives its name from fúarán, meaning 'cold spring', in reference to the holy well [RO034-080010] which is found across the road from the graveyard. There is a limestone plaque [RO034-080012] on the inner face of the NE well wall which has an inscription in false relief commemorating Fr. William Hanley who renovated the well in 1687. The inscription reads: 'Pray for the soul of Fr. William Hanley who caused this monument to be made in ye honour of God and St Patrick of Ireland. Anno Domini IHS 1684'. Immediately adjacent to the well is a limestone cross [RO034-080004] which has an inscription that reads: PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF / CATHERINE O / CONNOR AF (T)IR / DERMOTROE / WHO CAUSES / Ye MONUMENT / TO BE MADE IN / HONNOUR OF / GOD & S / PATRICK / 1729
184 memorials were recorded as part of the project, with the oldest headstone dating from 1717. The inscriptions were recorded by a team of local volunteers, Charlie Carlos, Gerry Corcoran, Padraig Fallon, Edmund Hester, Marian McDermott, James Owens and Padraig Whyte, in November and December 2019.