Coordinates: 53.336417, -6.316405
Established in 1829, following the passing of the 'Act of Easement of Burial Bills' in 1824, this was the first Roman Catholic cemetery to be opened following Catholic Emancipation in 1829, predating Prospect Cemetery in Glasnevin by three years. The high boundary walls, rich landscaping and delineated paths are typical of a nineteenth-century garden cemetery, as opposed to a churchyard. The variety of designs found in the grave markers is significant in terms of artistic value. The site is further enhanced by the mortuary chapel, the sexton's house, the stone boundary walls and gates, and the mature trees and shrubs.