Coordinates: 53.010618, -6.327430
The graveyard in Glendalough is situated on a gentle S-facing slope between the Glendasan and Glenealo rivers. A large quadrangular enclosure (dims. 100m E-W; 110m N-S) defined by a modern wall and stony bank, now surrounds the cathedral (WI023-008003-), round tower (WI023-008002-) and graveyard at Glendalough. An extension of the wall on the S side of the entrance divides off the N third of the graveyard. This enclosure may be superimposed on an earlier inner enclosure. The overall site is bounded at the N, E and S by rivers and apart from the general outline there is no clear W perimeter. This outer enclosure would have been at least 400m E-W.
The grave monument survey has been done by a team of volunteer's trained by HG's and under the guidance of the very excellent Glendalough Heritage Forum & with the kind assistance of UCD Archaeology Dept.. Over 1400 grave monuments have been surveyed and recorded.