Coordinates: 53.000788, -8.118722
The former workhouse complex is situated across the road from the graveyard and the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage records it as follows:
Detached former workhouse complex, built c. 1850, comprising four two- and three-storey blocks having large courtyards between and two single-storey buildings. Now partly in use as courthouse and school. Hipped slate roofs to main blocks, with pitched slate roofs to single-storey blocks, and rendered brick chimneystacks. Rendered limestone walls having cut stone plinths, vents, door surrounds and sills. Two southern blocks to road re-rendered with pebble dash and modernised. Segmental-headed window openings with brick surrounds and timber battened doors with mulitiple-pane overlights.
This workhouse serves as a reminder of the work of the Poor Law Unions in housing and caring for the destitute of Ireland in the mid-nineteenth century. The workhouses were built throughout Ireland to similar plans but on different scales to the designs of George Wilkinson following the passing of the Poor Relief (Ireland) Act in 1838. The survival of many original features and materials, including lime render, cut stone details, doorways and slate roofs help to portray the original character of this complex of buildings. This workhouse is the most intact remaining in North Tipperary.
The Board of Guardians Minute Books for the Borrisokane Workhouse between 1850 - 1923 are lodged with the County Library in Thurles. They contain the day to day running of the workhouse, purchases, roll of inmates, mainenance of buildings, finances etc.
Ref: A Parish History of Borrisokane, 1994