This ruined parish church and graveyard is located in the townland of Imphrick, in
the catholic parish of Ballyhea and the civil parish of Imphrick. It is in the Barony of
Fermoy and Orrery and Kilmore. It is is part of the Mallow Union of Parishes in the
Diocese of Cloyne.
It is located almost halfway between Charleville and Buttevant, Co. Cork, on the
west side of the main road N20. It is 100m north of the L1320 road to Churchtown,
on a slope north of the Awbeg River. The Cork/Dublin rail line is to the east.
This sub-rectangular graveyard is enclosed by a low earthen bank. The ruins of
the church is in the north west corner and very much overgrown with ivy.
The church was reported to be ‘in ruins’ in 1615.
A total of 29 memorials have been recorded. The burials are mainly to the east and
south of the church with 6 located in the interior. By the north wall inside the present
ruin lies the earliest headstone, dated to 1783. Predominantly 19th and 20th century
Surnames recorded include Walsh, Egan, Duane, O’Callaghan, Glasson, Murphy,
O’Sullivan, Barrett, Keefe and Johnson.
Located to the east of this site on the western side of the road is a holy well, known
locally as “Tobernadecla’ or St. Declan’s Well. located in a small field, it is accessed
by a gate from the road and by a stile to the well area. It is rectangular, well
enclosed and partially covered by a low stone surround. Its waters are believed to
have healing powers. Votive offerings surround the well and rags adorn overhanging