Forthill

Forthill
Graveyard name: 
Forthill
Graveyard Code: 
GA-FOHI

Location

Lough Atalia Road
Galway
Ireland
53° 16' 17.3136" N, 9° 2' 48.8328" W
Notes: 

The graveyard at Forthill occupies the site of the late medieval Augustinian foundation which was demolished in the 17th century.  A star-shaped fort was built on the site and elements of its shape are still traceable in boundary walls and ditched areas at the site.  The entrance gateway, which dates to the mid nineteenth century faces onto Lough Atalia Road. There is a mortuary chapel inside the entrance gate which bears a plaque inscribed in Latin commemorating the dedication of the site to St Augustine in 1500. There are two modern monuments to soldiers and sailors of the Spanish Armada killed there in the 16th century (GA-FTHL-0603 & GA-FTHL-0937).

 

The graveyard contains a fine range of monuments dating mainly from the 18th to 20th centuries and ranging from plain ledges to plain concrete crosses and from Classical Revival monuments to Celtic Revival crosses.  The oldest recumbent slab in the graveyard commemorates Mary Martin, daughter of Andrew Martin and wife to Ignatius Kirwan, who died in 1736 (GA-FTHL-0579). There are a group of west-facing recumbent slabs close to the northern wall of the graveyard which are marked at the base with a small cross and St. A. including a group of Augustinian priests and nuns (GA-FTHL-0583-0589), Dominick & Julian Lynch dated to 1757 (GA-FTHL-0524), Mary Martin dated to 1736 (GA-FTHl-0579) and George and Margaret Staunton dated 1781 (GA-FTHL-0525). There are a fair number of monuments with vocational symbolism which include a set of blacksmith’s tools (GA-FTHL-0203), a farmer’s plough (GA-FTHL-0623), a mason’s trowl (GA-FTHL-0705) and a weaver’s shears and shuttle (GA-FTHL-0225) and some wonderful examples of 18th and 19th century lettering.  The cemetery has been lovingly maintained by  several generations of the McDonagh family and is the property of the Augustinian order.   

Dr. Jim Higgins, Heritage Officer, Galway City Council.

This project was funded by the Heritage Council and Galway City Council as an action of the Galway City Heritage Plan.

Survey documents

Graves

Photo Grave Name Surname
GA-FOHI-0176 GA-FOHI-0176 Monica Glynn
GA-FOHI-0177 GA-FOHI-0177 Bartley Glynn
GA-FOHI-0178 GA-FOHI-0178 Hugh McDonogh
GA-FOHI-0179 GA-FOHI-0179 Ino (John) Joyse
GA-FOHI-0180 GA-FOHI-0180 T Norell
GA-FOHI-0181 GA-FOHI-0181 Thomas Burke
GA-FOHI-0182 GA-FOHI-0182 John Salinon
GA-FOHI-0183 GA-FOHI-0183 Anne Cahill
GA-FOHI-0184 GA-FOHI-0184 James Conry
GA-FOHI-0185 GA-FOHI-0185 Catherine Quirk
GA-FOHI-0186 GA-FOHI-0186 Michael Weaeer
GA-FOHI-0187 GA-FOHI-0187 Patrick E Rippingham
GA-FOHI-0188 GA-FOHI-0188 John Paul Spelman
GA-FOHI-0189 GA-FOHI-0189 John Lee
GA-FOHI-0190 GA-FOHI-0190 James Geoghegan
GA-FOHI-0191 GA-FOHI-0191 Bridget Burke
GA-FOHI-0192 GA-FOHI-0192 Bridget Simpson
GA-FOHI-0193 GA-FOHI-0193 Michael Murnion
GA-FOHI-0194 GA-FOHI-0194 Thomas King
GA-FOHI-0195 GA-FOHI-0195 Julia Egan
GA-FOHI-0196 GA-FOHI-0196 Mary Size
GA-FOHI-0197 GA-FOHI-0197 Owen Higgins
GA-FOHI-0198 GA-FOHI-0198
GA-FOHI-0199 GA-FOHI-0199 ?anis Frane
GA-FOHI-0200 GA-FOHI-0200 John Garvey