Forthill

Forthill
Graveyard name: 
Forthill
Graveyard Code: 
GA-FOHI

Location

Lough Atalia Road
Galway
Ireland
53° 16' 17.3136" N, 9° 2' 48.8328" W
Notes: 

The graveyard at Forthill occupies the site of the late medieval Augustinian foundation which was demolished in the 17th century.  A star-shaped fort was built on the site and elements of its shape are still traceable in boundary walls and ditched areas at the site.  The entrance gateway, which dates to the mid nineteenth century faces onto Lough Atalia Road. There is a mortuary chapel inside the entrance gate which bears a plaque inscribed in Latin commemorating the dedication of the site to St Augustine in 1500. There are two modern monuments to soldiers and sailors of the Spanish Armada killed there in the 16th century (GA-FTHL-0603 & GA-FTHL-0937).

 

The graveyard contains a fine range of monuments dating mainly from the 18th to 20th centuries and ranging from plain ledges to plain concrete crosses and from Classical Revival monuments to Celtic Revival crosses.  The oldest recumbent slab in the graveyard commemorates Mary Martin, daughter of Andrew Martin and wife to Ignatius Kirwan, who died in 1736 (GA-FTHL-0579). There are a group of west-facing recumbent slabs close to the northern wall of the graveyard which are marked at the base with a small cross and St. A. including a group of Augustinian priests and nuns (GA-FTHL-0583-0589), Dominick & Julian Lynch dated to 1757 (GA-FTHL-0524), Mary Martin dated to 1736 (GA-FTHl-0579) and George and Margaret Staunton dated 1781 (GA-FTHL-0525). There are a fair number of monuments with vocational symbolism which include a set of blacksmith’s tools (GA-FTHL-0203), a farmer’s plough (GA-FTHL-0623), a mason’s trowl (GA-FTHL-0705) and a weaver’s shears and shuttle (GA-FTHL-0225) and some wonderful examples of 18th and 19th century lettering.  The cemetery has been lovingly maintained by  several generations of the McDonagh family and is the property of the Augustinian order.   

Dr. Jim Higgins, Heritage Officer, Galway City Council.

This project was funded by the Heritage Council and Galway City Council as an action of the Galway City Heritage Plan.

Survey documents

Graves

Photo Grave Name Surname
GA-FOHI-0151 GA-FOHI-0151 Margret Lenehan alias O'Brien
GA-FOHI-0152 GA-FOHI-0152 Luke Costello
GA-FOHI-0153 GA-FOHI-0153 Joseph Crealy
GA-FOHI-0154 GA-FOHI-0154 Edward Kane
GA-FOHI-0155 GA-FOHI-0155 A Healy
GA-FOHI-0156 GA-FOHI-0156
GA-FOHI-0157 GA-FOHI-0157 Michael J McDonnell
GA-FOHI-0158 GA-FOHI-0158 Patrick Burke
GA-FOHI-0159 GA-FOHI-0159 John Tierney
GA-FOHI-0160 GA-FOHI-0160
GA-FOHI-0161 GA-FOHI-0161
GA-FOHI-0162 GA-FOHI-0162 Patrick Casey
GA-FOHI-0163 GA-FOHI-0163 John Connelly
GA-FOHI-0164 GA-FOHI-0164 Honoria Brady
GA-FOHI-0165 GA-FOHI-0165 Frank Semple
GA-FOHI-0166 GA-FOHI-0166
GA-FOHI-0167 GA-FOHI-0167 Murlough Kealy
GA-FOHI-0168 GA-FOHI-0168 Hugh McLoughlin
GA-FOHI-0169 GA-FOHI-0169 Patrick Feeney
GA-FOHI-0170 GA-FOHI-0170 Bridget Fahy
GA-FOHI-0171 GA-FOHI-0171 Laurence O'Donnell
GA-FOHI-0172 GA-FOHI-0172 Andrew McDonogh
GA-FOHI-0173 GA-FOHI-0173
Nicholas
Ellen
Forde
Forde nee Melvin
GA-FOHI-0174 GA-FOHI-0174
GA-FOHI-0175 GA-FOHI-0175
Peter
Patrick
Keating
Keating