Forthill

Forthill
Graveyard name: 
Forthill
Graveyard Code: 
GA-FOHI

Location

Lough Atalia Road
Galway
Ireland
53° 16' 17.3136" N, 9° 2' 48.8328" W
Notes: 

The graveyard at Forthill occupies the site of the late medieval Augustinian foundation which was demolished in the 17th century.  A star-shaped fort was built on the site and elements of its shape are still traceable in boundary walls and ditched areas at the site.  The entrance gateway, which dates to the mid nineteenth century faces onto Lough Atalia Road. There is a mortuary chapel inside the entrance gate which bears a plaque inscribed in Latin commemorating the dedication of the site to St Augustine in 1500. There are two modern monuments to soldiers and sailors of the Spanish Armada killed there in the 16th century (GA-FTHL-0603 & GA-FTHL-0937).

 

The graveyard contains a fine range of monuments dating mainly from the 18th to 20th centuries and ranging from plain ledges to plain concrete crosses and from Classical Revival monuments to Celtic Revival crosses.  The oldest recumbent slab in the graveyard commemorates Mary Martin, daughter of Andrew Martin and wife to Ignatius Kirwan, who died in 1736 (GA-FTHL-0579). There are a group of west-facing recumbent slabs close to the northern wall of the graveyard which are marked at the base with a small cross and St. A. including a group of Augustinian priests and nuns (GA-FTHL-0583-0589), Dominick & Julian Lynch dated to 1757 (GA-FTHL-0524), Mary Martin dated to 1736 (GA-FTHl-0579) and George and Margaret Staunton dated 1781 (GA-FTHL-0525). There are a fair number of monuments with vocational symbolism which include a set of blacksmith’s tools (GA-FTHL-0203), a farmer’s plough (GA-FTHL-0623), a mason’s trowl (GA-FTHL-0705) and a weaver’s shears and shuttle (GA-FTHL-0225) and some wonderful examples of 18th and 19th century lettering.  The cemetery has been lovingly maintained by  several generations of the McDonagh family and is the property of the Augustinian order.   

Dr. Jim Higgins, Heritage Officer, Galway City Council.

This project was funded by the Heritage Council and Galway City Council as an action of the Galway City Heritage Plan.

Survey documents

Graves

Photo Grave Name Surname
GA-FOHI-0126 GA-FOHI-0126 Catherine Conry
GA-FOHI-0127 GA-FOHI-0127 Edmond Hudson
GA-FOHI-0128 GA-FOHI-0128 Mary Hudson alias McLane
GA-FOHI-0129 GA-FOHI-0129 Margret Halloran alias Hier
GA-FOHI-0130 GA-FOHI-0130 Catherine Mortimer alias Lee
GA-FOHI-0131 GA-FOHI-0131 Ellen McKeon
GA-FOHI-0132 GA-FOHI-0132 Robert Wheeler
GA-FOHI-0133 GA-FOHI-0133 Jane Lee alias Downey
GA-FOHI-0134 GA-FOHI-0134 Richard Mortimer
GA-FOHI-0135 GA-FOHI-0135 Edmond Ellecoat
GA-FOHI-0136 GA-FOHI-0136 Honoria Shea
GA-FOHI-0137 GA-FOHI-0137 John Wallace
GA-FOHI-0138 GA-FOHI-0138 William Carroll
GA-FOHI-0139 GA-FOHI-0139 Thomas Clare
GA-FOHI-0140 GA-FOHI-0140 M C
GA-FOHI-0141 GA-FOHI-0141 Winfred Feeney
GA-FOHI-0142 GA-FOHI-0142 Mathew Flynn
GA-FOHI-0143 GA-FOHI-0143 Anne Burke
GA-FOHI-0144 GA-FOHI-0144 Mary Grehan
GA-FOHI-0145 GA-FOHI-0145 Catherine Conroy
GA-FOHI-0146 GA-FOHI-0146 Elles Kennins
GA-FOHI-0147 GA-FOHI-0147 Healy
GA-FOHI-0148 GA-FOHI-0148 Elizabeth Forbes
GA-FOHI-0149 GA-FOHI-0149 John Wheeler
GA-FOHI-0150 GA-FOHI-0150 John O'Brien