Forthill

Forthill
Graveyard name: 
Forthill
Graveyard Code: 
GA-FOHI

Location

Lough Atalia Road
Galway
Ireland
53° 16' 17.3136" N, 9° 2' 48.8328" W
Notes: 

The graveyard at Forthill occupies the site of the late medieval Augustinian foundation which was demolished in the 17th century.  A star-shaped fort was built on the site and elements of its shape are still traceable in boundary walls and ditched areas at the site.  The entrance gateway, which dates to the mid nineteenth century faces onto Lough Atalia Road. There is a mortuary chapel inside the entrance gate which bears a plaque inscribed in Latin commemorating the dedication of the site to St Augustine in 1500. There are two modern monuments to soldiers and sailors of the Spanish Armada killed there in the 16th century (GA-FTHL-0603 & GA-FTHL-0937).

 

The graveyard contains a fine range of monuments dating mainly from the 18th to 20th centuries and ranging from plain ledges to plain concrete crosses and from Classical Revival monuments to Celtic Revival crosses.  The oldest recumbent slab in the graveyard commemorates Mary Martin, daughter of Andrew Martin and wife to Ignatius Kirwan, who died in 1736 (GA-FTHL-0579). There are a group of west-facing recumbent slabs close to the northern wall of the graveyard which are marked at the base with a small cross and St. A. including a group of Augustinian priests and nuns (GA-FTHL-0583-0589), Dominick & Julian Lynch dated to 1757 (GA-FTHL-0524), Mary Martin dated to 1736 (GA-FTHl-0579) and George and Margaret Staunton dated 1781 (GA-FTHL-0525). There are a fair number of monuments with vocational symbolism which include a set of blacksmith’s tools (GA-FTHL-0203), a farmer’s plough (GA-FTHL-0623), a mason’s trowl (GA-FTHL-0705) and a weaver’s shears and shuttle (GA-FTHL-0225) and some wonderful examples of 18th and 19th century lettering.  The cemetery has been lovingly maintained by  several generations of the McDonagh family and is the property of the Augustinian order.   

Dr. Jim Higgins, Heritage Officer, Galway City Council.

This project was funded by the Heritage Council and Galway City Council as an action of the Galway City Heritage Plan.

Survey documents

Graves

Photo Grave Name Surname
GA-FOHI-0101 GA-FOHI-0101 Patrick Conneely
GA-FOHI-0102 GA-FOHI-0102 Thomas Burke
GA-FOHI-0103 GA-FOHI-0103 John Cottingham
GA-FOHI-0104 GA-FOHI-0104 John Dermouth
GA-FOHI-0105 GA-FOHI-0105 Mary Fagan
GA-FOHI-0106 GA-FOHI-0106 Mark Anthony Spelman
GA-FOHI-0107 GA-FOHI-0107 John Connor
GA-FOHI-0108 GA-FOHI-0108 Thomas Branin
GA-FOHI-0109 GA-FOHI-0109 David Flynn
GA-FOHI-0110 GA-FOHI-0110 Michael Hannon
GA-FOHI-0111 GA-FOHI-0111 Joe Hannon
GA-FOHI-0112 GA-FOHI-0112 John L Sullivan
GA-FOHI-0113 GA-FOHI-0113 James Toole
GA-FOHI-0114 GA-FOHI-0114 Tim Toole
GA-FOHI-0115 GA-FOHI-0115 Maria Purdon alias Savage
GA-FOHI-0116 GA-FOHI-0116 Thomas Clare
GA-FOHI-0117 GA-FOHI-0117 James O'Flaherty
GA-FOHI-0118 GA-FOHI-0118 Patt O'Flaherty
GA-FOHI-0119 GA-FOHI-0119 Matthew O'Flaherty
GA-FOHI-0120 GA-FOHI-0120 Mary O'Flaherty
GA-FOHI-0121 GA-FOHI-0121 Michael Boyle
GA-FOHI-0122 GA-FOHI-0122 Terasa Connolly alias Mealy
GA-FOHI-0123 GA-FOHI-0123 Laurence Nicholson
GA-FOHI-0124 GA-FOHI-0124 Francis Renny
GA-FOHI-0125 GA-FOHI-0125 John C Browne