Forthill

Forthill
Graveyard name: 
Forthill
Graveyard Code: 
GA-FOHI

Location

Lough Atalia Road
Galway
Ireland
53° 16' 17.3136" N, 9° 2' 48.8328" W
Notes: 

The graveyard at Forthill occupies the site of the late medieval Augustinian foundation which was demolished in the 17th century.  A star-shaped fort was built on the site and elements of its shape are still traceable in boundary walls and ditched areas at the site.  The entrance gateway, which dates to the mid nineteenth century faces onto Lough Atalia Road. There is a mortuary chapel inside the entrance gate which bears a plaque inscribed in Latin commemorating the dedication of the site to St Augustine in 1500. There are two modern monuments to soldiers and sailors of the Spanish Armada killed there in the 16th century (GA-FTHL-0603 & GA-FTHL-0937).

 

The graveyard contains a fine range of monuments dating mainly from the 18th to 20th centuries and ranging from plain ledges to plain concrete crosses and from Classical Revival monuments to Celtic Revival crosses.  The oldest recumbent slab in the graveyard commemorates Mary Martin, daughter of Andrew Martin and wife to Ignatius Kirwan, who died in 1736 (GA-FTHL-0579). There are a group of west-facing recumbent slabs close to the northern wall of the graveyard which are marked at the base with a small cross and St. A. including a group of Augustinian priests and nuns (GA-FTHL-0583-0589), Dominick & Julian Lynch dated to 1757 (GA-FTHL-0524), Mary Martin dated to 1736 (GA-FTHl-0579) and George and Margaret Staunton dated 1781 (GA-FTHL-0525). There are a fair number of monuments with vocational symbolism which include a set of blacksmith’s tools (GA-FTHL-0203), a farmer’s plough (GA-FTHL-0623), a mason’s trowl (GA-FTHL-0705) and a weaver’s shears and shuttle (GA-FTHL-0225) and some wonderful examples of 18th and 19th century lettering.  The cemetery has been lovingly maintained by  several generations of the McDonagh family and is the property of the Augustinian order.   

Dr. Jim Higgins, Heritage Officer, Galway City Council.

This project was funded by the Heritage Council and Galway City Council as an action of the Galway City Heritage Plan.

Survey documents

Graves

Photo Grave Name Surname
GA-FOHI-0076 GA-FOHI-0076 Alice Josephine Couzins
GA-FOHI-0077 GA-FOHI-0077 Kate Doherty
GA-FOHI-0078 GA-FOHI-0078 Mary Murphy
GA-FOHI-0079 GA-FOHI-0079 Maurice Coughlan
GA-FOHI-0080 GA-FOHI-0080 Mary Coughlan
GA-FOHI-0081 GA-FOHI-0081 Elizabeth Glynn
GA-FOHI-0082 GA-FOHI-0082 Patrick Cowen
GA-FOHI-0083 GA-FOHI-0083 Julia Burke
GA-FOHI-0084 GA-FOHI-0084 O'Sullivan
GA-FOHI-0085 GA-FOHI-0085
GA-FOHI-0086 GA-FOHI-0086 Edward Doyle
GA-FOHI-0087 GA-FOHI-0087 James Coleman
GA-FOHI-0088 GA-FOHI-0088 Mary Delarcey
GA-FOHI-0089 GA-FOHI-0089 Sarah Loftus
GA-FOHI-0090 GA-FOHI-0090 Mary Earl
GA-FOHI-0091 GA-FOHI-0091 Michael Kilroy
GA-FOHI-0092 GA-FOHI-0092 Thomas Healy
GA-FOHI-0093 GA-FOHI-0093 C Hanly
GA-FOHI-0094 GA-FOHI-0094 Unetey Tool alias O'Brien
GA-FOHI-0095 GA-FOHI-0095 John Cavanagh
GA-FOHI-0096 GA-FOHI-0096 Robert Heavey
GA-FOHI-0097 GA-FOHI-0097 Samuel J Simon
GA-FOHI-0098 GA-FOHI-0098 Finnegan
GA-FOHI-0099 GA-FOHI-0099 Marget Downey alias Sloper
GA-FOHI-0100 GA-FOHI-0100 Gordon H G Kells