Forthill

Forthill
Graveyard name: 
Forthill
Graveyard Code: 
GA-FOHI

Location

Lough Atalia Road
Galway
Ireland
53° 16' 17.3136" N, 9° 2' 48.8328" W
Notes: 

The graveyard at Forthill occupies the site of the late medieval Augustinian foundation which was demolished in the 17th century.  A star-shaped fort was built on the site and elements of its shape are still traceable in boundary walls and ditched areas at the site.  The entrance gateway, which dates to the mid nineteenth century faces onto Lough Atalia Road. There is a mortuary chapel inside the entrance gate which bears a plaque inscribed in Latin commemorating the dedication of the site to St Augustine in 1500. There are two modern monuments to soldiers and sailors of the Spanish Armada killed there in the 16th century (GA-FTHL-0603 & GA-FTHL-0937).

 

The graveyard contains a fine range of monuments dating mainly from the 18th to 20th centuries and ranging from plain ledges to plain concrete crosses and from Classical Revival monuments to Celtic Revival crosses.  The oldest recumbent slab in the graveyard commemorates Mary Martin, daughter of Andrew Martin and wife to Ignatius Kirwan, who died in 1736 (GA-FTHL-0579). There are a group of west-facing recumbent slabs close to the northern wall of the graveyard which are marked at the base with a small cross and St. A. including a group of Augustinian priests and nuns (GA-FTHL-0583-0589), Dominick & Julian Lynch dated to 1757 (GA-FTHL-0524), Mary Martin dated to 1736 (GA-FTHl-0579) and George and Margaret Staunton dated 1781 (GA-FTHL-0525). There are a fair number of monuments with vocational symbolism which include a set of blacksmith’s tools (GA-FTHL-0203), a farmer’s plough (GA-FTHL-0623), a mason’s trowl (GA-FTHL-0705) and a weaver’s shears and shuttle (GA-FTHL-0225) and some wonderful examples of 18th and 19th century lettering.  The cemetery has been lovingly maintained by  several generations of the McDonagh family and is the property of the Augustinian order.   

Dr. Jim Higgins, Heritage Officer, Galway City Council.

This project was funded by the Heritage Council and Galway City Council as an action of the Galway City Heritage Plan.

Survey documents

Graves

Photo Grave Name Surname
GA-FOHI-0251 GA-FOHI-0251 Michael Claric
GA-FOHI-0252 GA-FOHI-0252 Austin Flanagan
GA-FOHI-0253 GA-FOHI-0253
GA-FOHI-0254 GA-FOHI-0254
GA-FOHI-0255 GA-FOHI-0255
GA-FOHI-0256 GA-FOHI-0256 John & Margaret Moloney
GA-FOHI-0257 GA-FOHI-0257 Ronnie Murray
GA-FOHI-0258 GA-FOHI-0258 Norah Murray
GA-FOHI-0259 GA-FOHI-0259 Maria Burns nee Murphy
GA-FOHI-0260 GA-FOHI-0260
GA-FOHI-0261 GA-FOHI-0261 William Murphy
GA-FOHI-0262 GA-FOHI-0262 Patrick Conner
GA-FOHI-0263 GA-FOHI-0263 Michael Lydon
GA-FOHI-0264 GA-FOHI-0264
GA-FOHI-0265 GA-FOHI-0265
GA-FOHI-0266 GA-FOHI-0266 Catherine Mullins
GA-FOHI-0267 GA-FOHI-0267 Nanny Hale (Halloran)
GA-FOHI-0268 GA-FOHI-0268
GA-FOHI-0269 GA-FOHI-0269 Mary Whelan
GA-FOHI-0270 GA-FOHI-0270 Dilly Tierney
GA-FOHI-0271 GA-FOHI-0271 Michael Murphy
GA-FOHI-0272 GA-FOHI-0272 John O'Neal
GA-FOHI-0273 GA-FOHI-0273 Mary Coffey
GA-FOHI-0274 GA-FOHI-0274 Bridget Rooney
GA-FOHI-0275 GA-FOHI-0275 William Lawless