Graveyard name: 
Graveyard Code: 


Lough Atalia Road
53° 16' 17.3136" N, 9° 2' 48.8328" W

The graveyard at Forthill occupies the site of the late medieval Augustinian foundation which was demolished in the 17th century.  A star-shaped fort was built on the site and elements of its shape are still traceable in boundary walls and ditched areas at the site.  The entrance gateway, which dates to the mid nineteenth century faces onto Lough Atalia Road. There is a mortuary chapel inside the entrance gate which bears a plaque inscribed in Latin commemorating the dedication of the site to St Augustine in 1500. There are two modern monuments to soldiers and sailors of the Spanish Armada killed there in the 16th century (GA-FTHL-0603 & GA-FTHL-0937).


The graveyard contains a fine range of monuments dating mainly from the 18th to 20th centuries and ranging from plain ledges to plain concrete crosses and from Classical Revival monuments to Celtic Revival crosses.  The oldest recumbent slab in the graveyard commemorates Mary Martin, daughter of Andrew Martin and wife to Ignatius Kirwan, who died in 1736 (GA-FTHL-0579). There are a group of west-facing recumbent slabs close to the northern wall of the graveyard which are marked at the base with a small cross and St. A. including a group of Augustinian priests and nuns (GA-FTHL-0583-0589), Dominick & Julian Lynch dated to 1757 (GA-FTHL-0524), Mary Martin dated to 1736 (GA-FTHl-0579) and George and Margaret Staunton dated 1781 (GA-FTHL-0525). There are a fair number of monuments with vocational symbolism which include a set of blacksmith’s tools (GA-FTHL-0203), a farmer’s plough (GA-FTHL-0623), a mason’s trowl (GA-FTHL-0705) and a weaver’s shears and shuttle (GA-FTHL-0225) and some wonderful examples of 18th and 19th century lettering.  The cemetery has been lovingly maintained by  several generations of the McDonagh family and is the property of the Augustinian order.   

Dr. Jim Higgins, Heritage Officer, Galway City Council.

This project was funded by the Heritage Council and Galway City Council as an action of the Galway City Heritage Plan.

Survey documents


Photo Grave Name Surname
GA-FOHI-0026 GA-FOHI-0026 Thomas Conneely
GA-FOHI-0027 GA-FOHI-0027 Peter Cassidy
GA-FOHI-0028 GA-FOHI-0028
GA-FOHI-0029 GA-FOHI-0029 Michael McDonagh
GA-FOHI-0030 GA-FOHI-0030 John Healy
GA-FOHI-0031 GA-FOHI-0031 Mary Healy
GA-FOHI-0032 GA-FOHI-0032
GA-FOHI-0033 GA-FOHI-0033
GA-FOHI-0034 GA-FOHI-0034
GA-FOHI-0035 GA-FOHI-0035
GA-FOHI-0036 GA-FOHI-0036 Mary Hynes
GA-FOHI-0037 GA-FOHI-0037 Honoria Fox
GA-FOHI-0038 GA-FOHI-0038 Jeremiah O'Sullivan
GA-FOHI-0039 GA-FOHI-0039 John O'Sulllivan
GA-FOHI-0040 GA-FOHI-0040 Martin Rabbit
GA-FOHI-0041 GA-FOHI-0041 John Costello
GA-FOHI-0042 GA-FOHI-0042 Thomas Power
GA-FOHI-0043 GA-FOHI-0043 Eleanor Weldon
GA-FOHI-0044 GA-FOHI-0044 Martin Joseph Gildea
GA-FOHI-0045 GA-FOHI-0045 Patrick Grogan
GA-FOHI-0046 GA-FOHI-0046
GA-FOHI-0047 GA-FOHI-0047 Mary Annie Noone
GA-FOHI-0048 GA-FOHI-0048 Walsh
GA-FOHI-0049 GA-FOHI-0049 John McCormack
GA-FOHI-0050 GA-FOHI-0050 Michael Geary