Forthill

Forthill
Graveyard name: 
Forthill
Graveyard Code: 
GA-FOHI

Location

Lough Atalia Road
Galway
Ireland
53° 16' 17.3136" N, 9° 2' 48.8328" W
Notes: 

The graveyard at Forthill occupies the site of the late medieval Augustinian foundation which was demolished in the 17th century.  A star-shaped fort was built on the site and elements of its shape are still traceable in boundary walls and ditched areas at the site.  The entrance gateway, which dates to the mid nineteenth century faces onto Lough Atalia Road. There is a mortuary chapel inside the entrance gate which bears a plaque inscribed in Latin commemorating the dedication of the site to St Augustine in 1500. There are two modern monuments to soldiers and sailors of the Spanish Armada killed there in the 16th century (GA-FTHL-0603 & GA-FTHL-0937).

 

The graveyard contains a fine range of monuments dating mainly from the 18th to 20th centuries and ranging from plain ledges to plain concrete crosses and from Classical Revival monuments to Celtic Revival crosses.  The oldest recumbent slab in the graveyard commemorates Mary Martin, daughter of Andrew Martin and wife to Ignatius Kirwan, who died in 1736 (GA-FTHL-0579). There are a group of west-facing recumbent slabs close to the northern wall of the graveyard which are marked at the base with a small cross and St. A. including a group of Augustinian priests and nuns (GA-FTHL-0583-0589), Dominick & Julian Lynch dated to 1757 (GA-FTHL-0524), Mary Martin dated to 1736 (GA-FTHl-0579) and George and Margaret Staunton dated 1781 (GA-FTHL-0525). There are a fair number of monuments with vocational symbolism which include a set of blacksmith’s tools (GA-FTHL-0203), a farmer’s plough (GA-FTHL-0623), a mason’s trowl (GA-FTHL-0705) and a weaver’s shears and shuttle (GA-FTHL-0225) and some wonderful examples of 18th and 19th century lettering.  The cemetery has been lovingly maintained by  several generations of the McDonagh family and is the property of the Augustinian order.   

Dr. Jim Higgins, Heritage Officer, Galway City Council.

This project was funded by the Heritage Council and Galway City Council as an action of the Galway City Heritage Plan.

Survey documents

Graves

Photo Grave Name Surname
GA-FOHI-0001 GA-FOHI-0001
GA-FOHI-0002 GA-FOHI-0002 Patrick Bennett
GA-FOHI-0003 GA-FOHI-0003 Robert Murray
GA-FOHI-0004 GA-FOHI-0004 Patrick Cannon
GA-FOHI-0005 GA-FOHI-0005 Ann Nancy Spelman
GA-FOHI-0006 GA-FOHI-0006 John Connolly
GA-FOHI-0007 GA-FOHI-0007 Thomas Burke
GA-FOHI-0008 GA-FOHI-0008 Bridget Duane
GA-FOHI-0009 GA-FOHI-0009 Patrick O'Donnell
GA-FOHI-0010 GA-FOHI-0010 Patrck Joyce
GA-FOHI-0011 GA-FOHI-0011 Sarah McLoughlin
GA-FOHI-0012 GA-FOHI-0012 Bridget Conneely
GA-FOHI-0013 GA-FOHI-0013 Patrick Reily
GA-FOHI-0014 GA-FOHI-0014 Daniel
GA-FOHI-0015 GA-FOHI-0015 Anne Hernon alias Crawly
GA-FOHI-0016 GA-FOHI-0016 Patrick Boyle
GA-FOHI-0017 GA-FOHI-0017 Elizabeth Sweeney Codyre
GA-FOHI-0018 GA-FOHI-0018 Dave Kelly
GA-FOHI-0019 GA-FOHI-0019 Stephen Geary
GA-FOHI-0020 GA-FOHI-0020
GA-FOHI-0021 GA-FOHI-0021 Mary Burke
GA-FOHI-0022 GA-FOHI-0022
GA-FOHI-0023 GA-FOHI-0023
GA-FOHI-0024 GA-FOHI-0024 Edward Lynskey
GA-FOHI-0025 GA-FOHI-0025 Patrick A Higins